Okay, I have to admit that when I first came accross this recipe for Avocado Fries I was like, “WHAT!!! Wait a minute, Avocado French Fries?”. I was utterly dismayed on the concept. It didn’t even seem to compute. I had so many questions and so little answers, so off to the laboratory (kitchen) I went.
You will find that my version is a healthier version than what is out there with other similar recipes. Given my family’s current quest to loose a few pounds and our desire for real food I went the route of substituting flour for Cashew flour and instead of bread crumbs I used TVP. The result was still delicious. Just be careful as they are very hot when they come out of the oven.
Making the Fries
- 1 avocado, sliced length wise into 1/2 inch strips.
- 1 cup cashew flour (used instead of regular flour)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup TVP (used instead of bread crumbs)
- 2 TBSP grated Asiago cheese (Really any hard cheese will suffice)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Pour cashew flour into a shallow bowl. Pour egg in another shallow bowl. Pour TVP into a third bowl.
- Gently press the avocado slices into flour to coat and shake off any excess flour. Dip into beaten egg and press into TVP. Place avocado slices onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over avocado slices.
- Bake avocado in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and ‘fries’ are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Making the Sauce
- 3 TBSP sour cream (Use the good stuff)
- 2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 TBSP Sriracha Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
They are going to be very hot so they will need to rest for a few minutes but they are delicious. If you do a simple Google search for Avocado